Skip to main content

Roasting Peppers and Making Apple Sauce

I had a little bit of fun on Friday after finding some really great deals at my local produce store. They have a discount bin that every so often has some real gems! I was doing my weekly shopping there and decided to check out the bin. They had bags of peppers there for $1.50 and some bags of apples for $1.99.

The produce was in really decent condition (sometimes it's most definitely not worth paying even the discounted price....) with only a few bruises/blemishes and no mold or anything. I decided to pick up a bag of each and here's what I did:


With my peppers I sliced them up with onion and roasted them in the oven. We have homemade pizzas every once in a while and it's awesome being able to pull a little baggie from the freezer and throw some roasted peppers and onions on top of whatever else I have for the pizzas. They're also great to add into pasta or fajitas.


I toss them with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them at 425F until they soften and start to get that delicious caramelization to them. Check on them periodically; mine are usually in for around 30 minutes or so. If I remember, I put parchment paper under them which helps with some of the sticky clean-up.


I then separate them into smaller bags/containers and freeze them for later use.

**Tip: I found the cost of buying little freezer bags for things like this kind of ridiculous. But, I also don't want them getting really freezer burnt either....so I now buy cheap, store brand sandwich bags to portion them and then throw all the smaller bags into one big freezer bag. It keeps them protected, keeps them all in one place (not lost in the bottom corner of the freezer!), and I can reuse the large freezer bag since it never actually touches food.


I also made apple sauce.


If you remember from one of my previous posts I mentioned how you can substitute apple sauce for the butter or margarine in a baking recipe (I took that idea and substituted peaches into my brownies recipe HERE). I figured it would be useful for me to have some apple sauce on hand for both eating and for baking and this is the cheapest and healthiest way to do it!



Making apple sauce is so, SO simple. Peel and core your apples (this is the most tedious part unless you have one of those fancy apple peeler/corer thingies). Dice them up and throw them in a pot with just under an inch of water in the bottom.



I set my stove to medium heat and let them cook for 15 or 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You know they're done when they are super soft and don't hold their shape anymore.

I prefer my apple sauce to be a tad chunky so I just use a potato masher and hand-mash the apples. You could also use a hand blender or regular blender (be careful not to erupt hot apple everywhere!) if you wanted to your sauce to be nice and smooth.

I should also mention that there are tons of variations on what to add to apple sauce. I prefer my apple sauce a little more on the tart side so I almost never add any sort of sugar to it. Some people want theirs sweetened so you can add white or brown sugar and you can also get crafty and add things like cinnamon for more of a dessert sauce. If you Google apple sauce recipes you'll find all sorts of stuff, including adding lemon juice to stop any browning of the apples as well as help out if you plan to properly can your sauce into shelf stable jars. I forgo all of these things in the name of simplicity, unless the apples are so tart that they need a little sugar.


I use a basic way of storing my sauce. I just clean a few jars and add my hot apple sauce to them. I let the jars sit on the counter and cool until the lids pop and seal themselves. Any leftovers that don't fit in the jars get put in a bowl and eaten almost immediately. I'll usually keep one jar in the fridge as it keeps safely for quite a while (though, I'm not sure for how long....as it never lasts more than a week or two for us!). The rest I just throw in the freezer for later use. I know you can take extra precautions and steps to make your sauce shelf stable for a year or more, but I just don't bother; it's not worth it for the amount that I make.

I always forget how few apples you need to make a decent amount of apple sauce. The above picture is what I yielded from only seven apples; it's plenty for our little family.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

The Weirdest Thing Happened Yesterday....

So over the last week or so I've been getting a whole bunch of random phone calls from different numbers starting with area code 778. This is the same area code as my cellphone so I found it weird but most of the time it only rang once or twice and then hung up before I could answer. I finally answered one of the calls the other day and it ended up being one of those stupid pre-recorded "WestJet" things where I was apparently picked for a survey or something - except that I haven't flown WestJet before so I just hung up since it was clearly a scam of some sort.  Yesterday morning I get a phone call from some random guy.  "Hello?"  "Hi, I've been getting a pre-recorded message from you for a few days now...."  "You have?? I'm not sure how....this is my own personal cellphone." "Huh. Really?" "Is it a WestJet message of some sort? If it is, I've been getting the same thing for about a week now...&qu