Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving!

I want to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!



We have been busy, busy with family and a whole lot of eating! How about you? Are you feeling like you've hit your food limit yet?

We had a delicious brunch at Mom and Dad Wookey's house on Saturday morning before heading down to the States for a little shopping. We drove around Bellingham for a little bit and checked out some of their cute little shops, then headed to Fred Meyer for a few items and some fuel. I LOVE the fact that we can go down the States for gas.....fuel prices here haven't been too bad lately - $1.29/L (yes, that's a good price for this area *sigh*) but even with the way our Canadian dollar has been lately, we were able to get our gas for about $0.96/L. That alone made me thankful this weekend since we were filling up our Dodge truck!

Yesterday we went to church in the morning and then began our turkey preparations. I hosted supper at our place this year. I wish I had remembered to take a picture of our spread; it was impressive! Mom and Dad Wookey brought brussel sprouts with bacon and a couple pumpkin pies for dessert, Auntie Anne-Marie brought a delicious cheese appetizer and a lovely pomegranate, cheese, and pine nut salad. We supplied turkey, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, and gravy. It was all SO delish!

I'm also really excited for leftovers tonight. That's the joy of turkey - have a big cooking production one day and then have easy meals after that with all the leftovers.

I plan to use my turkey bones and make turkey stock in the next couple days as well. I will make sure to post about how I do it. Having homemade stock in the freezer is a great way to get the most out of your turkey/chicken/beef/pork bones while having delicious tasting stock for soups and stews on hand.


The other exciting thing we did yesterday was get Abby's hair cut! She's 22 months old and had never had a hair cut; it was time. I had a twinge of sadness beforehand as I love her curly hair but it was definitely a "first" that needed to be done. The hope is that it will grow in a little thicker now as her hair is quite fine. She was born with a skullet (very little on top with a nice mullet of hair growing along the back - haha, poor child) so the back of her hair has always been longer than everywhere else.


We got her (and Grandpa) all covered up with fancy gowns and then Auntie Anne-Marie got right to it. 


Abby was a bit of a wiggle worm but between Grandpa holding her and me distracting her we got the job done. Auntie Anne-Marie was awesome - she has dealt with many squirmy children and knew how to be quick and efficient. 


I don't have a great "after" shot of her haircut so I'll have to follow-up with that later. We were busy afterwards with dessert and then moving furniture in Abby's room. She decided instead of napping that she would rip her curtains off the wall - so we needed to do some rearranging so that her crib no longer gave her access to anything destructible! She has been keeping us on our toes this weekend during nap time. On Saturday she ended up with no nap as she managed to rip her poopy diaper off in her crib....aaaand I'll let you fill in the rest of the story. Needless to say, napping was replaced with Chad jumping in the shower with her and me doing laundry and disinfecting. Thankfully she was rather distraught that she was covered in the smelly stuff so the hope is that she will think twice about doing it again in the future.

Oh, the joys of being a parent!


I hope you all enjoy the remainder of your Thanksgiving long weekend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

The Weirdest Thing Happened Yesterday....

So over the last week or so I've been getting a whole bunch of random phone calls from different numbers starting with area code 778. This is the same area code as my cellphone so I found it weird but most of the time it only rang once or twice and then hung up before I could answer. I finally answered one of the calls the other day and it ended up being one of those stupid pre-recorded "WestJet" things where I was apparently picked for a survey or something - except that I haven't flown WestJet before so I just hung up since it was clearly a scam of some sort.  Yesterday morning I get a phone call from some random guy.  "Hello?"  "Hi, I've been getting a pre-recorded message from you for a few days now...."  "You have?? I'm not sure how....this is my own personal cellphone." "Huh. Really?" "Is it a WestJet message of some sort? If it is, I've been getting the same thing for about a week now...&qu