Skip to main content

How to Meal Plan

Happy October!

So. I took on the task of meal planning again yesterday and decided to try doing it for the entire month of October; just like I did all of September last time. I am accustomed to doing two week planning but decided to buckle down and do the entire month again.

It was a lot harder this time around! I think it was due to the fact that I just don't have the same volume of stuff in the freezer to use so I had to come up with meals that both used up things in the house AND required new items to be bought. Last month was strictly using up what I had in the house already (except dairy and veggies) so I knew exactly what I had to work with. This time was much more open-ended; I'm coming to learn that I do better when I have less options to choose from. I actually find it quite daunting to have limitless possibilities.


I figured I would walk you guys through my meal planning process. I had a friend of mine do the same a while ago (check her out here) and it really helped me figure out a process of my own that worked. I started out by trying to plan one week at a time but realized that it was less work to plan more days all at once. It also allows me to make sure we have a nice variety of beef, chicken, fish, and side dishes each week and ultimately each month. 

So yesterday afternoon once Abby went down for her nap I got myself organized with my pen, paper, water, and a little snack (yup, those are delicious jube jubes!) and began my planning. Here's what I do:



I first start off by looking in my freezer, fridge, and pantry to take note of all the items I have, including meats and meat alternatives. I make a quick list so I can refer to it while making my meal plan and also for making my grocery lists.

Next, I write out all my days of the month. 


I then make note of any holidays, days that I know for sure I won't need to make supper, and days that I'll be entertaining guests. This month we have Thanksgiving which means turkey and turkey leftovers. Yum!

Every Friday I make breakfast for supper so I fill in those days first. 


Then comes the more "messy" part of meal planning. I pull out any cookbooks and recipes I want to use for inspiration and I start filling in the blanks. I am really excited that Fall is here so I pulled out my crockpot cookbook and used quite a few recipes from it! I also will rip out recipes from magazines that look tasty or print recipes off the internet. allrecipes.com is a favourite of mine.




Like I mentioned earlier, I try to make sure we have a nice variety of meats for each week so I try and plan beef, chicken, and pork once each week (and fish usually a couple times a month). I also tend to do one meatless meal a week that includes beans or some other form of protein. Going meatless one night a week has been pretty awesome for our budget. I can get a can of beans for $0.88 at Walmart whereas most meat costs us at least $4 or $5 per meal. Also, over time you'll come to know what recipes are big enough to have leftovers and so you can then plan a day where you use them up - also helping with the budget!

Using those guidelines makes it a little easier for me to fill in all the blanks, otherwise I have a whole lot of empty lines staring at me and no idea where to begin!

Here's my finished list for the month:



I then start to work through each week and figure out what groceries I'm going to need. I find it easier to make my list at this stage rather than later on since I have all my recipes in front of me already. You can see I have blank spots on my pages where I haven't planned a veggie. That's because I like to shop based on what's in season/on sale. Each week when I buy my produce I make note of how many meals I need "seasonal veggies" for, what the meal is, and then I make my decision in the store based on what looks good and costs the least.


Before I go shopping I take my pre-made grocery list and check what I have in the house. Sometimes I've wagered that I'll be low on a certain item when I actually have enough for another full week. I put question marks beside those items as a reminder to check what I have and decide if I truly will need to buy more. I can also add to my list throughout the week if I notice I'm getting low on something.

These lists are also very helpful for me when deciding where to shop. I'm a deal hunter...Chad will tell you I'm just cheap, haha, but I look at my flyers each week and figure out if the majority of stuff I need to buy is better priced at one store compared to another. I will make trips to different stores if I think it's worth the time and gas to do so or else I price-match if the store allows that.  


I hope this help you understand the process of meal planning and perhaps inspires you to try it for yourself! This is, by no means, the only way of doing it - but it works well for me. If you want to try and tackle it I would suggest starting with a couple weeks at a time. See how it works for you and build yourself up to a full month :)

If you have any questions or have a different method please feel free to share!

Comments

  1. I've been really enjoying your blog Rosalyn. As a stay at home mum myself with 3 kids I can relate to the struggles of staying under budget. I like your method of meal planning and will be incorporating it into my life immediately. Anything to help ease the stress of figuring out what to cook. We also try to do at least one meatless meal a week. One thing I do to make this even more cost effective is to use dried beans from the bulk bin instead of canned. Once a month or so I just cook them up and divide them into seperate freezer bags. I can just pull them out of the freezer the night before and they're ready to use. Another great reason for doing this is that you can use as much or as little salt as you like.
    Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Rosanne! I know that buying dried beans in bulk is cheaper (and healthier in regards to sodium among other things) but just never really knew how to go about cooking them or portioning them for later use. How do you cook them?

      I'm happy you're inspired to try meal planning :) It may take a bit to feel like you're getting the hang of it, but setting aside the time to do it makes every other day a little less stressful because you know exactly what will be on the table for dinner. Let me know how it all works out!

      Delete
  2. You just soak them overnight in water. The next day drain that water, cover with new water, bring that to a boil, then turn down and let simmer for 1-2 hours. You can add seasonings if you want, but I usually just add seasoning when I use them. It's a bit of preparation, but if you make a big batch and freeze them then you only have to do it every once and a while. You can find quick soak methods and different seasoning options online. If they aren't soft in 1-2 hours your beans are probably just old.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

The Weirdest Thing Happened Yesterday....

So over the last week or so I've been getting a whole bunch of random phone calls from different numbers starting with area code 778. This is the same area code as my cellphone so I found it weird but most of the time it only rang once or twice and then hung up before I could answer. I finally answered one of the calls the other day and it ended up being one of those stupid pre-recorded "WestJet" things where I was apparently picked for a survey or something - except that I haven't flown WestJet before so I just hung up since it was clearly a scam of some sort.  Yesterday morning I get a phone call from some random guy.  "Hello?"  "Hi, I've been getting a pre-recorded message from you for a few days now...."  "You have?? I'm not sure how....this is my own personal cellphone." "Huh. Really?" "Is it a WestJet message of some sort? If it is, I've been getting the same thing for about a week now...&qu