Skip to main content

Never a dull moment....

Hey everyone :)

For some reason life has been full of excitement lately, yet I haven't felt the need to write about it...weird. I usually feel like telling my stories to the world but I've been wrapped up in the daily going-on's and haven't taken the time to sit and write. I apologize in advance if this post seems a little disjointed but here's what we've been up to:

I had a doctor's appointment last Tuesday where I was told that I have nothing to be concerned about. This is a week after I was called in by a different doctor to go over my latest ultrasound results and she told me that there was concerning measurements taken and that they wanted to closely monitor me. What?! The same results were seen by two different doctors - one says to worry and one says there's nothing to be concerned about. That's a little disconcerting! I'm happy to say, however, that I'm taking the approach of doctor #2 and have decided that I am not going to worry. This baby is happy and healthy where she is. I may be more uncomfortable and busy than I was when pregnant with Abby but no big deal. I have been blessed with another healthy pregnancy and another little miracle so I will take every day as it comes. I trust in the Creator of everything and know that this little life I'm growing is made perfectly <3

33 weeks pregnant today - 49 days until my due date!

I had another ultrasound on Friday and will hear the results next Tuesday regarding how baby girl is growing. I'm scheduled for ultrasounds every two weeks on top of my bi-weekly prenatal appointments and monthly blood work....I'm so thankful for a Grandma and Grandpa willing to babysit our munchkin! I'm also thankful that I don't have an employer to schedule all this time off with!



This past Wednesday was QUITE the experience. Chad and I were woken up around 2 am to crazy rain and wind. We heard this really weird humming noise a couple times that was accompanied with flashes of light and then all the power went out. We soon realized there were police lights flashing on the street beside our house. At that time of the night/morning with the wind and rain we weren't exactly going to venture outside and see what was happening, so we crawled back into bed and eventually fell asleep. Abby somehow managed to sleep through the whole thing - thank goodness!

The following morning we still had no power. Chad's alarm is set on his phone so he still woke up and went to work on time. The police car was still there and we found out that a large tree had fallen from the wind and landed on live wires. The sound and light we had noticed in the night was the sparking and shorting out of the electrical wires. They had the entire street closed off.



We were told that they were going to try and restore our power by noon. I sure hoped they were right....having no power with dogs and a toddler is quite interesting! I decided we would head out shopping just to get out of the house. There was power on at Walmart so Abby and I headed there. I bought some cheese and fruit so we had something to eat for lunch. I didn't want to open up the fridge and freezers so that they could stay as cold as possible.

We made it to nap time and Abby went down just fine. That left me all alone with nothing to do but read by the light of our living room window. On some levels it was a great blessing to have no power! I couldn't feel even a tiny bit guilty about not doing anything around the house. No electricity means no laundry, no vacuuming, no cooking....I was forced to sit with my feet up and enjoy some "me" time. My silver lining.

By around 4 pm it was getting really dark already and we still had no power. I checked the power outage website using my phone and it had been updated. It now said power would be on by 6 pm. The house was getting quite dark by this time and I was very thankful for the big flashlight we had bought this summer for camping. It allowed Abby and I to play with her toys and build towers without too much trouble. We had to leave the house and pick Chad up in Ladner so that was also a bit of a blessing. Getting out of the house was nice.

We picked Chad up and ended up hitting up McDonald's for supper. Yup, it was disgustingly good! Another silver lining to having no power. We then headed to the Hyundai dealership to pick up our new vehicle!

This is our new vehicle - but black instead of silver

We sold our Dodge Ram truck and bought ourselves a family friendly Santa Fe XL Limited. I'm not very car saavy, but I must say....it's pretty snazzy! Having push button start and keyless entry is going to spoil me, that's for sure! It's got navigation, heated and cooled seats, seating for six, and a full panoramic sunroof. It feels really great to drive AND it's not such a hulking beast that I have to park as far away as possible just to find a spot. Win-win-win!

So to continue the story - we got back after signing all the papers for our new vehicle and finally had our power back. Yay! It was restored around 7:30pm.

I must say - it's not until you don't have it that you realize how much we rely on electricity. It's CRAZY. Lights, microwaves, kettles, computers, televisions, hot water, internet, radio, charging our phones, fridges and freezers, the furnace.....the list just goes on and on. We are so spoiled and don't even realize it! I had to live with no electricity for less than 24 hours and it was tough. Our whole mind set and daily activities revolve around the use of power SO much. After my experience on Wednesday I am most definitely more appreciative of the amenities that we are given every day. I'm also very thankful for the large number of people that worked all day long to restore our power!


On a very different topic.....have you seen these?!


Yep, holiday tea is out in October. I found these at Safeway and they are DELISH. I highly recommend them for you tea lovers out there. The gingerbread spice is herbal and candy cane lane is decaffeinated green tea; both very pregnancy friendly for drinking as much as I want. Yum!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

The Weirdest Thing Happened Yesterday....

So over the last week or so I've been getting a whole bunch of random phone calls from different numbers starting with area code 778. This is the same area code as my cellphone so I found it weird but most of the time it only rang once or twice and then hung up before I could answer. I finally answered one of the calls the other day and it ended up being one of those stupid pre-recorded "WestJet" things where I was apparently picked for a survey or something - except that I haven't flown WestJet before so I just hung up since it was clearly a scam of some sort.  Yesterday morning I get a phone call from some random guy.  "Hello?"  "Hi, I've been getting a pre-recorded message from you for a few days now...."  "You have?? I'm not sure how....this is my own personal cellphone." "Huh. Really?" "Is it a WestJet message of some sort? If it is, I've been getting the same thing for about a week now...&qu