Skip to main content

A meatless meal that Chad actually took a second helping of!

I got lucky with a new recipe this past week.

I took it out of an old Company's Coming cookbook that I was given at my wedding. It came from my Oma's collection of cookbooks. She passed away many years ago, but my Aunt passed along some of her cookbooks to me as a wedding gift.

It's a vegetarian dish - which usually means that Chad endures the meal but doesn't thoroughly enjoy it. But this time he took seconds! AND commented that it was good.

WIN!

Other than chopping up the veggies it was so simple to prepare and had such simple ingredients. It was quite pretty with all the different colors of veggies mixed together and I'm sure the crushed crackers and baked cheese on top helped as well.





Here's the recipe:

Rice Veggie Casserole
Company's Coming: Meatless Cooking

1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup sliced celery
19 oz. canned tomatoes, drained, chopped, drained again
2 tsp. chili powder

1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
14 oz. canned kidney beans, drained
1 cup cooked brown rice (about 1/4 cup uncooked)
12 oz. canned kernel corn, drained
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

crumbled whole wheat crackers (or corn chips)
1/2 cup grated edam cheese

Combine first 4 ingredients in saucepan. Heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir once or twice during cooking. Remove from heat.

Add next 6 ingredients. Stir. Pour into 2 quart (2L) casserole dish. Cover. Bake in 350F oven for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle with crackers and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. 

Serves 6 people, 1 cup each.
1 serving contains: 222 calories; 4.6g fat; 10g protein; 8g fiber


I just used crumbled stoned wheat thins that I had along with cheddar cheese since edam cheese isn't exactly something I have sitting around the house. It was delish! I highly recommend trying this dish if you're looking for a cheap, meatless meal to make. It's also nice and basic so you could play with the spices and veggies to create a whole other flavour profile and use up what ever you have sitting in your veggie drawer.


Bon appetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

How to Meal Plan

Happy October! So. I took on the task of meal planning again yesterday and decided to try doing it for the entire month of October; just like I did all of September last time. I am accustomed to doing two week planning but decided to buckle down and do the entire month again. It was a lot harder this time around! I think it was due to the fact that I just don't have the same volume of stuff in the freezer to use so I had to come up with meals that both used up things in the house AND required new items to be bought. Last month was strictly using up what I had in the house already (except dairy and veggies) so I knew exactly what I had to work with. This time was much more open-ended; I'm coming to learn that I do better when I have less options to choose from. I actually find it quite daunting to have limitless possibilities. I figured I would walk you guys through my meal planning process. I had a friend of mine do the same a while ago (check her out  here ) and i