Skip to main content

Surgery Postponed


Well the end of June has come.

We had originally discussed Julia having her first surgery at the end of June but it wasn't meant to be. I called the surgeon's office in the middle of May inquiring about dates and I was told that she likely wouldn't be on the schedule until July.

Okay. No problem.

I called four weeks later to follow up and got some rather disappointing news; Julia won't be having her surgery until the Fall. According to the receptionist, Julia is on "the list" but more time sensitive operations have come up so she's been pushed back. Also, the surgeon is taking the entire month of August off so that means Julia won't be booked until September/October (hopefully).

At this point, we have discussed with the neurosurgeon that she will have her first cranial surgery when she is between nine months and one year old - that's sometime between September and December. So, I'm mentally preparing myself for one big surgery day where both her cranial vault (head) and syndactyly release (hands) happen together.

There are pros and cons to having them together though. I mean, having anesthesia only once for both procedures is a nice idea, as is the fact that she will be that much older and stronger. But, she will be under for much longer and there will now be multiple body parts healing at the same time. I'm not a doctor though, so that's about as far as my pros and cons list goes at this point.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't effected by this timeline change. Her surgery feels like a dark, looming cloud. You know that thunderstorm you see off in the distance while you sit outside under blue skies? You keep waiting for it to move over top and unleash the rain, the thunder, and the lightening. The only difference is that the thunderstorm may just pass by and miss you altogether. Julia's surgeries are inescapable; the only variable here is time. I'm trying to let the anticipation and anxiety go - give it up to God. He knows what the timing will be and it will be perfect. But I struggle with letting go of the plans I make in my head.

I felt the same way when Julia was born. The ideas I had of what it would be like to have a new baby in the family were shattered with Julia's arrival. I am still sometimes grieving the loss of the "typical" family I had envisioned but I do know now that it gets easier every day. Consciously telling myself to let go of the worry and anxious feelings I have surrounding surgery timing and details is hard, but necessary. I will continue to call the surgeon's office every so often to make sure Julia doesn't slip through the cracks, but I know that ultimately the details are not up to me and so I have to unclench my fists and receive peace while we wait.



On the lighter side of life.....look at this growing munchkin!



We started solid food and she's doing amazingly! She has a whole repertoire of food already: rice cereal, strawberry, spinach, nectarine, egg, pancake, cauliflower, broccoli, pork....the list goes on and on. Oh, and I shouldn't forget whipped cream. I made whipped cream the other night for dessert (see below photo!) and Chad shared a few small fingertips swiped in the white goodness with Julia. She still ate her rice cereal the next meal though, so she hasn't been completely ruined!


Oh, and Julia is on the move! Not in the way you would expect however....  One minute she's playing on her mat.


The next thing I know she's off in the corner complaining she's getting stuck under the cupboard!



Note how she's still on her back though? She lays on her back, pushes her feet onto the ground which lifts her little bum up and then she slides herself backwards. It's pretty funny to watch; I get a kick out of it!

It's interesting, and encouraging, that she's moving around since she's now considered developmentally delayed in her rolling. By 6 months of age babies should be rolling at least in one direction (front to back or back to front) and Julia isn't doing either. I've coaxed and helped her roll onto her tummy a couple of times but she won't just do it on her own. We are assuming it's due to her head being heavier than the average so it takes more effort and coordination to roll. I don't think she's too far off of doing it but she is delayed so it's really nice to see that she's still wanting to move and explore.



Abby is getting to be quite the little character. She's got a strong will and is learning to assert her two year old independence but she's a lot of fun. Oh, and she's got really great style.


She's always asking to blow bubbles and go outside and pick raspberries. She could spend hours with the hose, flooding my plants and filling empty pots with water. Her vocabulary is exponentially increasing which is kind of scary! She's at that stage where she hears a word once and she will parrot it back to you. Let's just say that our language is cleaning up very nicely in this household....

All in all, life is grand. These two fill my days and my heart.



 Oh, and Chad. He's pretty darn fantastic at filling my heart, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

How to Meal Plan

Happy October! So. I took on the task of meal planning again yesterday and decided to try doing it for the entire month of October; just like I did all of September last time. I am accustomed to doing two week planning but decided to buckle down and do the entire month again. It was a lot harder this time around! I think it was due to the fact that I just don't have the same volume of stuff in the freezer to use so I had to come up with meals that both used up things in the house AND required new items to be bought. Last month was strictly using up what I had in the house already (except dairy and veggies) so I knew exactly what I had to work with. This time was much more open-ended; I'm coming to learn that I do better when I have less options to choose from. I actually find it quite daunting to have limitless possibilities. I figured I would walk you guys through my meal planning process. I had a friend of mine do the same a while ago (check her out  here ) and i