Skip to main content

Julia can hear!!

Praise the Lord! I am SO excited to share with you all that Julia has the great majority of her hearing!!

We made our way to BC Children's Hospital this morning and let me tell you - it was a bit of an ordeal...

The test was slotted for 9am until noon. Yes, THREE full hours. Julia needed to be sleeping for the test so we were given instructions on how to prepare ahead of time. Julia woke up at 6 am this morning so I fed her and then she needed to stay awake until her appointment. I'm not sure about you, but have you ever had a baby stay awake on a long car ride? Yeah. It doesn't happen (at least not my children!). So I enlisted Mom Wookey to come along with me. She sat in the back with Julia and every time she tried to nod off to dreamland she was rubbed with an ice cold cloth. Let's just say that she was NOT a happy camper! Poor grandma felt bad, Julia cried the whole time, but in the end it totally paid off.

We arrived to our appointment and got set up. Julia had wires attached to various parts of her face and had little ear pieces inserted. I nursed her to sleep and then we began the testing. She had to be so still throughout the testing; if she wiggled, made noise, blinked, etc. the audiologist had to pause the test until she settled down again. The measurements are so precise that the muscle movement of blinking can throw off the results. Crazy, hey?!


She slept like a champ though. It was amazing!


As you can see, Julia got nice and comfortable; she sprawled out across my arm and the pillow that was helping prop my arm up. It didn't look comfy to us....but she seemed to like it!

At the end of the appointment the audiologist went over the results of the test with us. We were told that Julia has a lot more hearing than we thought! This chart was given to us as a visual aid to understand it all.


The yellow line is what they consider the baseline for normal hearing in infants. Julia's right and left ears both hear mid to high frequency/pitch at a normal level. She does, however, have mild hearing loss in the low frequency/pitch area with her left ear being slightly worse than her right. The audiologist said that at this point there really is no reason for any sort of hearing aids which was such a relief! We don't have to worry about talking to one ear more than another, make sure the "good" ear isn't blocked, or anything of that sort. We can talk and sing to her just like any other baby. We are SO utterly thankful!

The mild hearing loss that she does have seems to be due to the bony structures within her ear. Her cochlea and auditory nerve function properly so it's likely that there is malformation of the bones in her ears - which totally makes sense considering Apert syndrome causes fusion of bones where there wouldn't otherwise be fusion. We will have more auditory testing done as Julia grows but for now we can talk and sing to her and be confident she is hearing Mommy and Daddy's voice. Too bad she also has to hear Abby ramble on and throw tantrums and hear Harley bark his head off!

This news has lifted such a weight off of me that I hadn't even fully realized was there. I want to say a huge thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. We were given wonderful news and I truly believe your prayers played a part in it all.



And here's my other little, thoroughly enjoying her arts and crafts time with Auntie Nichole while we were gone. She loved it! Thank you for waking up early and braving rush hour traffic to watch her for me. You're amazing!

 

Comments

  1. Just starting to follow after your bbc post. So happy you had some positive results at this hearing test.
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

    Canadadaymomma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

How to Meal Plan

Happy October! So. I took on the task of meal planning again yesterday and decided to try doing it for the entire month of October; just like I did all of September last time. I am accustomed to doing two week planning but decided to buckle down and do the entire month again. It was a lot harder this time around! I think it was due to the fact that I just don't have the same volume of stuff in the freezer to use so I had to come up with meals that both used up things in the house AND required new items to be bought. Last month was strictly using up what I had in the house already (except dairy and veggies) so I knew exactly what I had to work with. This time was much more open-ended; I'm coming to learn that I do better when I have less options to choose from. I actually find it quite daunting to have limitless possibilities. I figured I would walk you guys through my meal planning process. I had a friend of mine do the same a while ago (check her out  here ) and i