Skip to main content

We Survived!

It's hard to believe that tomorrow is the last day of September! It feels like I just started this grocery challenge....that it shouldn't be the end of the month yet. Crazy.

So, I suppose this is my last update regarding my grocery challenge. I do intend to continue giving you guys insight into my grocery buying every so often though. For one, so that I feel accountable for my purchases (and don't go overboard!) and for two, so that I can open up discussion on what everyone is buying and where they are finding their deals. I realize that different provinces and countries will have varying sales and prices - but I find it really helpful to know what other people are buying and what they are paying for grocery items.

So here's all that I bought for these last two days of September:



Yup. That's it. All $3.52 worth of fruit, haha. And no, we won't go through six bananas in two days!

I ended up juggling a lot of my meals this past week or so and ended up with extra stuff in the house to use. We also were invited for supper at Chad's parent's house on Saturday evening so I am making my Saturday supper for tonight's meal. So September meals are totally covered and I will probably be able to cover a few days into October as well :)

My total for the month of September is....(drum roll please!).....$149.95!

Wow, not sure how I hit so darn close to my max goal of $150, I swear I didn't plan it that way. I realized pretty quickly, though, that my lofty initial goal of $100 for the entire month was NOT practical AT ALL. Prices these days just would never allow that for our family of three.


This month was quite an eye-opener for me. It felt SO great to be organized for the whole month - knowing exactly what was planned for each night of the week. I had made a basic grocery list for every week so I knew what I needed to buy and then I would double check those items before I left to make sure I did in fact need them. Some weeks I thought I would need more eggs and I didn't, or I thought I would go through more onions than I actually did.

I also didn't realize just how much I had/have in my freezer! I was able to work my way through a lot of random things I had stored up and, yes, there are certain things like ground beef and chicken thighs that I will need to buy this next month but I still have things in my freezer and pantry that I didn't have time to use this month. It boggles my mind! I think I will work on my meal planning for October in the next couple days here and try to incorporate a few meals each week that still follow my grocery challenge rules - just to keep my freezers and pantry from piling high again!

There are also some major things that need to be purchased now, such as baby wipes, diapers, shampoo, ground beef, chicken thighs, peanut butter, etc. So I will need to watch some of my other day-to-day grocery costs. It won't do me any good to save on my grocery budget this month just to double it this next month. I'm pretty confident I can keep costs down still by using some of the things I've learned from the challenge.

29 weeks pregnant today! Only 11-ish weeks to go.

I'm also starting to think about Christmas already (I know, I know...a lot of you are going to hate that I even mentioned that C-word). I want to figure out my budget for buying gifts but I also am just feeling the need to be super prepared! Baby #2 is due on December 15th which means I need to be ready for baby's arrival, Abby's 2nd birthday, AND Christmas by the end of November. This pregnancy is a little less "smooth sailing" than what I experienced with Abby so I'm starting to feel a sense of urgency to be prepared before I can no longer haul my large body around or else I have a toddler and a very new newborn to bring shopping. I'm starting to think that online shopping may just be my saving grace this year!



Is there anyone else that's crazy like me and thinking about Christmas already? I actually keep forgetting that Thanksgiving, Halloween, Remembrance Day, etc. all have to happen first!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the world little Julia! The beginning of our new journey....

Hey everyone. Sorry it's been so long since my last post...life around here has been extra busy! On December 13th, 2014 we welcomed our second daughter, Julia Anne Wookey, to the family. She was born weighing 9lbs 1oz and measuring 23 inches long. I knew she would be a big girl - we don't make small babies. Labor and delivery went well. I started having contractions around 9am on the 12th and they steadily got stronger. Chad and I headed to the hospital around dinner time. The nurses monitored me and baby's heart rate for quite some time; Julia's pattern for her heart rate was a bit abnormal during my contractions so they wanted to keep an eye on it. We had the exact same scenario happen during my labor with Abby and in the end they decided to admit me and then the fun began. I labored all through the evening and eventually succumbed to the pain. I asked for an epidural and they also gave me some laughing gas while the anesthesiologist made his way to my room.

Always Struggling to Make Ends Meet

I don't know about you, but as a one income family we have a really tight, no-room-for-error budget. It seems like money is always on my mind and it's always regarding the fact that we never have quite enough. There are days where I feel like we're treading water pretty well, but the majority of the time it feels like we have this rock of debt attached to us and it's dragging us under. There always seems to be more month than money and I have yet to succeed in finding the key to getting out of this hole. It all goes back to the days before my hubby and I got married. He LOVES cars and his hobby was always buying, modifying, and selling them so he could buy something new. I love that he has a passion for cars but they aren't exactly money makers.....so when we said our vows "for richer or poorer" we most definitely had to mean it. This is not to say that I didn't bring any outstanding debt to our marriage. I was fresh out of university and had just bo

How to Meal Plan

Happy October! So. I took on the task of meal planning again yesterday and decided to try doing it for the entire month of October; just like I did all of September last time. I am accustomed to doing two week planning but decided to buckle down and do the entire month again. It was a lot harder this time around! I think it was due to the fact that I just don't have the same volume of stuff in the freezer to use so I had to come up with meals that both used up things in the house AND required new items to be bought. Last month was strictly using up what I had in the house already (except dairy and veggies) so I knew exactly what I had to work with. This time was much more open-ended; I'm coming to learn that I do better when I have less options to choose from. I actually find it quite daunting to have limitless possibilities. I figured I would walk you guys through my meal planning process. I had a friend of mine do the same a while ago (check her out  here ) and i